Thursday, May 10, 2012

Enjoy the ride


I spent the last week in Bariloche, Argentina, and the surrounding area.  Bariloche is located in northern Patagonia so it is surrounded by beautiful jagged snow-capped mountains and turquoise colored lakes.  It is fall here, so the colors are just so stunningly beautiful (shades of yellows, reds, and oranges).  I stayed in Hostel 41 Below.  As it did not beat Hostal El Refugio in Pucon, which is  my favorite hostel thus far, it was still a great relaxing place with good vibes. They have a big common area which was easy for meeting people.

My week in Bariloche can be summed up by:
-eating some of the best chocolate I have ever tasted
- admiring the cute wooden buildings and houses
- bicycling around all the lakes
- hiking through meadows of beautiful fall colors
- climbing twice to the top of a steep hill with a 360 degree view of all the lakes to watch the sunset
- visiting a nearby hippie town (El Bolson) and walking through the feria artesianal


If you ask any European they will tell you it is very similar to Switzerland.  It's surprising how different Argentina is to Chile. To begin with, their accent. They pronounce the double ll, as "cha".  So imagine asking for directions.. (La calle por alla... But in argentian, La cache por acha). I feel Argentina  has more of a European influence as well.

As I begin week 3, I'm beginning to feel less stressed. At the beginning of my travels, I felt completely overwhelmed with the options of what to do and see. I would talk to other travelers about their experiences in South America, and I would keep adding to my list.  I'm finding myself feeling less overwhelmed, and more appreciate of everything I am able to do.  I'm doing alot more then most people may ever do in their lives. I'm realizing that I just need to sit back, relax, and enjoy my ride.

Sitting back and enjoying the ride.
On the road to El Bolson
 Take it all in & appreciate the experiences I am having.  Even if it is something as simple as writing this blog on a 22 hour bus ride across Argentina with a bus load of Argentinians.  I haven't seen civilization in hours, but I'm perfectly content watching the Whitney Houston tribute on the overhead tvs.
In a few days, I am meeting my Peace Corps friend Lilah. In 2 weeks, my sister-in-law, Greta will be joinining me on my travels. I had a really nice time traveling alone, but  I'm excited to meet up with some familiar faces.
Traveling alone has its ups and downs. First, the good parts: I like the rushes one gets from traveling alone (like finding a hostel, catching a bus on time, successful conversations in Spanish with locals, finding the best areas to a certain place, or coming out of a really long hike alone).   It's many senses of accomplishments over and over again. (Yay, I did it! and I did it alone.)  Also, during the past 3 weeks, I've had many moments that are "mine".  I am the only one looking at this, at this time, and at this moment.  These are my moments and noone can take them away from me.

However, sometimes I  miss the feeling of shared happiness. Standing on top of the Andes Mountains, or seeing something interesting while on a bus or walking through town.  I want to turn to someone to say together, "Wow isn't this incredible", or "Do you see this?"  Instead I think "Jamie, Wow! Do you believe your eyes?" I have noone to share that peace and happiness. Instead I take pictures , but since photos really don't do justice, I will be the only one to really understand it's true beauty.

 I am excited to have Greta & Lilah along with me on this journey. I will have thosed shared moments of peace & happiness. I will have someone to say to, "remember 5 years ago when....!??"

 Right now I'm on a bus to a place I know nothing about.  I'm going to a place that will stimulate me once again, but in different ways, with new sights and sounds.  A place where I will meet new travelers and locals.  A place where new adventures await me.

When the sun comes up, I will be in one of the most vibrant, exciting, and electrifying places in South America.
Good bye nature and hello city.

Buenos Aires - See you in the morning

No comments:

Post a Comment