Thursday, July 12, 2012

The magical land

Vilcabamba!

The place in the world that has the most amount of people to live well over 100 years, some over 135. I don't know how else to explain this place but, peaceful, serene, and muy muy muy tranquilo.

I spent 4 days here, and stayed at the most beautiful bed and breakfast hostel, Hosteria Izhcayluma (hands down, the best hostel I stayed at) Great location in the countryside, breakfast buffet included, small dorms, hammock galore, flowers flowers flowers, nice owners, etc.)  My 4 days here I spent hiking, relaxing, and just enjoying being in nature. I'll just say I have an even deeper appreciation then I already have for nature.
"the waterfall hike"
My second day here I went on a hike to a nearby waterfall with some people from my hostel. At one point, the girl I was with, Fredricka and I decided this doesn't seem right and turned around until we found the trail down to the waterfall. The guys kept walking and said, we will see you at the waterfall. Needless to say, we found the waterfall, the guys didn't not. I think this tell us one thing; girls have a better sense of direction then guys :) On our walk back, we decided to disregard the section of the map that says "don't do this trail backwards; you will get lost or die" (ah, minor details).




We bushwhacked or way through trees and through a thousand spider webs for over an hour before getting to a bridge crossing (aka, a fallen tree) over white water rapids. Please see below photo to understand how we actually had to cross this bridge. 
this is how we crossed the bridge


"Shade", I, and San Pedro Cactus.
(used for healing & religious practices in the Andes Mountains for over 3,000 years)

No comments:

Post a Comment