Monday, April 30, 2012


Pucon, Chile

Hiking through the "Dr. Suess" forest.
Reserva Cani
After saying goodbye to my family in Belize, and watching them all board the airplane, a really strange feeling went through me. I felt I should be boarding that plane with them, but I didn't. I felt like I should be boarding a plane to go back to my community in El Salvador but I didn't do that either. For the first time in a long time I felt free. I felt independent.  I felt like noone is watching me. Noone is talking about my every move. I also felt a bit confused and somewhat scared. Flying thousands of miles away from home to somewhere new. And I will be doing that all alone. After a long 9 hour flight, I made it to Santiago Chile.
I've never seen such funky looking trees
  I only spent a day there, but that was all I needed.  I did a self-guided walking tour. It was a bit overwhelming for me (coming from my small village to the big city), how fast everyone was moving and how crowded the streets were. I noticed quickly just how everyone drinks sparkling water and there are no hammocks. I ate lunch at a place that was super busy. No questions asked, I had them bring me their "most popular dish". They brought me a hotdog with an egg on it & of course, sparkling water. 
The next day I took a 12 hour bus ride down south to Pucon, Chile (northern Patagonia).  It reminds me of a cute little mountain town in Colorado.  As crazy as it is to say it, I miss feeling cold.  During my time, I loved walking around in the brisk air and coming back to the hostel and sitting next to the fire. 
Anyway, I came to this cute, little mountain village to climb the massive active volcano that draws travelers, such as myself, to come to this area. Unfortunately, due to the rainy weather I was unable to go up the mountain. The top of the volcano is snow/ice-capped, so it involves cramp ons and ice picks.  There were many groups the week before that made it half way up the volcano and had to turn around. Volcano Villarica will remain on my bucket list.
As I was a bit disappointed I didn't get to climb it, I made the most out of Pucon, Chile.  I stayed 7 days here; 4 days longer than planned. The hostel I stayed in, El Refugio, has such a warm, friendly atmosphere. I fell in love with the cozy, homely environment.  I especially loved the fireplace and the black lab, Negra (laziest dog ever).  The people I met there made the stay extra special.  We spent the week doing a number of hikes, soaking in hot springs, horseback riding, eating yummy food, watching sunsets at the lake, partying and celebrating Queens day (the owner of the hostel is Dutch), walks around town, and engaging in great conversations.  

It's hard to believe that I just finished my Peace Corps experience in El Salvador.  People here are so interested in hearing my stories, and I love telling my stories.  It's just hard to believe that was ME. I miss the people from my community. However, I love this freedom. I love this traveling thing. I'm aprovechando the different foods and variety of things to do.  I love being in nature again. I love washing machines. I love meeting new interesting people & learning about different cultures through them. I'm learning new things every single moment. I'm finding, the more I learn, the less I know.
It certainly feels like I've been here longer then a week. It'll be hard to leave here, I'm certainly not ready, but I know great places and great people await me.  So (Po...) until next time Chile, and hola Argentina.


Vincent showing off his juggling skills at the top

Abby and I at the top

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your pics and experiences. Looks like you are having way too much fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete