Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Final Days in Ecuador

The end to another country, and I will say it again .. Wow, Ecuador. Now, THAT was my favorite. Alright, I know I said it for Peru, and I likely said it for Bolivia. Each country that I have traveled in South America is completely different & it is hard to compare the beauty within each of these countries to each other. However, Ecuador did something different for me. It will forever have a special place in my heart. I feel I have gotten so much out of my travel experience from this small little country & the people that crossed my path within it.

some village kids showing off their new puppies
I can't really explain it.  Perhaps I reached a part of my traveling where the excitement of all these new sights have worn off. The stress has well worn off, and traveling is certainly much easier for me. Everything is normal for me, and now I'm just living my life within these countries. During the past month, I took time to really think about my time here in South America, about my life, about learning the cultures, meeting new people & gathering a deeper understanding of how the universe connects us all.

sombreros; Otavalo Market
 I have met incredible people along the way, from all over the world. Some that I've spent a day with, and some that I have spent weeks with. No matter how long, I truly believe I have met every one of them for a reason; from the locals to the other tourists. Traveling has given me a deeper understanding of myself, life, other people, and how the universe connects us all. These people have really shown me a lot & have opened my eyes up to more then I could imagine. I am very thankful for everyone that I have met & continue to meet on my journey.


ladies on the street trying to earn a living

My last stop in Ecuador was Otavalo (about 2 hours north of Quito). Otavalo is a beautiful place surrounded by 3 volcanoes. It is home to the largest market in Ecuador. The market is everyday in La Plaza de los Ponchos, but it is biggest on Saturday. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the big market, which consists of an animal market in the morning. I did get to see the idea of these markets and how the people here make their living.  The plaza is full of people selling mainly textiles (of wool), jewelry, leather, food, spools of wool, and many of their own handmade crafts.

 
What is special about this place (to me) are the people, and their clothing. The Otavalolena women wear distinctive white embroidered blouses, with flared laced sleeves with black skirts. Their long hair is tied in the back with a 3 inch band of woven multi-colored material.  Men wear white trousers with dark blue ponchos. The clothing is much different then any of the other indigenous populations of people I have come across. It was as if I missed a parade or something.

example of clothing the Otavalan women wear
(since it is impossible and disrespectful to take pictures of them)
 Here i stayed at Hostal Chasqui, which I would highly recommend to anyone needing a break from other travelers and seeking alone time. I think this hostel came to me at the right moment, because I just wanted to spend these days relaxing. I was able to get a private room/bathroom for $10. Now I feel well rested to spend the next 3 days in a row on a bus.


Now, I move on to Colombia; the final country of my 5 month trip throughout South America.
  • Tentative schedule for Colombia:
    • August 5th - August 12th : Medellin (for La Feria de los Flores)
    • August 13th - August 23rd: Cartagena/Taganga/Santa Marta (the coast area)
    • August 24th - August 26th: San Gil
    • August 26th - Sept 1: Salento
    • Sept 2nd: Fly to El Salvador!
    • Sept 14th: FLY HOME!!


No comments:

Post a Comment