Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cartagena

Medellin, Colombia
The land of fake butts, fake boobs, loud music, salsa, and party. And let that be doubled because of the week long feria.

Medellin was fun. Maybe a bit too much fun for me. I was excited to get out of the city of Medellin, and on to somewhere more relaxing, like Tayrona National Park (where I would spend my days on the beach or in the jungle and my nights sleeping in the hammock). 

Before going to the National Park, I stopped in Cartagena for a few days. I took an hour flight from Medellin, which came to be about to be about $40 ($20 cheaper & 19 hours shorter then the bus). I stayed here for only a day and a half before moving on to Taganga/Santa Marta/Tayrona National Park



Cartagena is a lovely place. It is the port that is used for people taking the boat to or from Panama. There are some nice beaches and tourist spots near by, but I enjoyed just spending the day and a half walking around admiring the colorful houses and the flower displays. I knew better beaches were to come for me in Tayrona.




Here I stayed in Hotel Familiar - which is pretty basic, but it was nice to have a private room (for the cost of what I would pay for a dorm).

I was going to take a visit to the Volcan de Lodo (the mud volcano), but I slept right through my alarm. The night before there was something going on in the community hall next door, so it was quite difficult falling asleep to the sounds of salsa and clapping until 3 in the morning.  Just another reminder why I don't like cities.
Ladies in traditional Caribbean style dress

barber shop on the street Media Luna
NEXT STOP: Tayrona National Park

No comments:

Post a Comment