Monday, October 1, 2012

Rockin' in the Free World

After 21 months of living in El Salvador, and 4 months of traveling around South America, I have finally made my way back home to central Pennsylvania. I love being home, and this blog is dedicated to the reasons why it is, oh so nice, being back home.

Philadelphia Airport
The title of this blog, "Rockin' in the Free World", seemed most relevant for me. I'm not even back to my home in Winfield, PA for 20 hours and I'm already at a music concert. So Neil Young didn't play, "Rockin' in the Free World," but I still enjoyed his sounds, along with the sounds of many other famous artists (Willie Nelson, DMB, Jack Johnson, Grace Potter and The Nocturnals,etc.) that came together for Farm Aid.  The money from this shows helps support family farms.

Concerts are certainly on the top of the list of what I've missed most about the US. I love music, and something is transformed with my mood & my surroundings, when I listen to it. At Farm Aid, I loved sharing that same energy with over 30,000 people.

It is nice being able to dance, without having to know a specific dance. I love American music for that.  Don't get me wrong, I do love Latin music and the dances that go along with them; such as cumbia, salsa, or bachata. When my Salvadorean friends would ask how we dance in America, they seemed somewhat appalled that there isn't a certain dance, but more a matter of "going with the flow of the music." I guess I could have shown them the chicken dance or the electric slide, but I thought I'd rather save the humiliation on that one.

As for the others? What I love most about being back?

1 Family and friends. The people who have been by my side through all of this and who were on this life changing journey with me. Through emails, phone calls, care packages, or just the thought of them helped me through this experience. Now it is time to tell them about it in person.

Mom, Dad, and I in front of my dad's 57 Chevy
At the cruise in - Country Cupboard, Lewisburg, PA
2.  Speaking English - Okay, so right now, I'm sure I sound like an English a a second language learner. I have many, "what is that word in English?" moments. As an aspiring writer and English teacher, I hope my English grammar comes back to me.

3. Being organized - No more living out of a backpack. Here in the US, my clothes go in a closet or a drawer. My money goes in a wallet, not rolled up in a money belt against me.

4. Music & Concerts - As mentioned above. The same 1,000 songs on my IPOD got a bit old. I love the sounds of new music, and being able to "let go" at live music concerts. Who is in for Phish New Years Eve?


5. Driving a car - While, the first time on the highway was a bit hard, I love being behind the wheel and singing at the top of my lungs (even if I do get a few weird looks by passing vehicles).

6. Hot showers -  Not wearing shoes and not having to bring shower supplies each time you take a shower is an extra plus as well.

7. Markets - More specifically, the Amish. This group of people that were all around me while growing up, suddenly appear more interesting to me. For those who don't know, I live on the edge of Pennsylvania Dutch Country, which is noted for their high Amish population. Because of their delicious baked goods, such as whoopie pie or shoofly pie (lard pie according to Noel), I foresee myself gaining some weight being back here.

buggies parked during Sunday morning church

My Peace Corps friend Amy at the Watsontown Yard Sales
(She loved the area, but was certainly quite shocked that I came from it) 
8. Carpet. Walking around barefoot inside a house is sooooo nice. Oh, the little things.

9. Bathrooms. In Central and South America, I was lucky to find an indoor bathroom. I was even luckier to find that inside bathroom with a toilet seat. Having toilet paper was certainly out of the picture (If you are traveling there, make sure to always carry a roll with you). Here in the states, I'm finding myself going to the bathroom in places even if I don't have to actually "go." Toilet seats, toilet paper, sinks, mirrors, AND hand dryers. How luxurious!  I just need to remember, the toilet paper goes IN the toilet bowl.

10. Hiking and being in nature.
A section of the Appalachian Trail in PA
11. Washing machines - I'm not actually sure this is a "great thing about being back in the states." I felt like I just had to write it. I secretly miss washing my clothes on a rock. The thought of washing machines is definitely appealing to someone who works a full-time job (which is not me).

12. A house free of unwanted creatures - the cockroaches, tarantulas, scorpions, bats, and mice. Oh, how could I forget the pigeons!

13. The beautiful fall colors. and the brisk fall weather.

14. New old clothes. It's nice not having to go shopping. After being away from your clothing for over 2 years, everything in your closet is new to you.

15. Conversations  that go beyond the weather and corn.

16. Being back "in the loop." I have developed a small obsession with checking the world news app on an hourly basis. It's as if my brain is making up for lost activity.

17. Watching movies on something other then my 10 inch laptop, and doing so on a couch (not a hammock) Dare I admit how lazy I've become. Tomorrow, I'm going to the gym. Tomorrow.

18. My dog Maggie.  I'm gone for 2 years, and I see just how quickly I am replaced. She has taken over the couch, my bed, and the backseat of the car. Even if I do kick her off these spots, put her in her place, and call her fat 20 times a day, she still forgives me. That's the amazing thing about animals; they don't hold grudges. I love this dog, and I love being able to give positive attention to animals without getting weird looks or remarks. It's nice to see others doing so too.
The most spoiled dog in the world, Maggie May
19. The food, and all the options for food. Menus at restaurants are a bit overwhelming, but worth the effort. (My body is actually craving beans and tortilla).

20. Cooking. To continue with food, I have to mention how much I have fallen in love with cooking, or rather the idea of cooking. Due to lack of ingredients, I haven't been able to partake much in this. If anyone has a good recipe, send it my way.

1 comment:

  1. Jamie,
    Check out AllRecipes.com: http://allrecipes.com/
    You can search by ingredients or the name of the item you want to make. I use it all the time.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete