Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sandboarding and sea life watching

How quickly the last month went by with my great traveling companions (Lilah & Greta). We had a great time trekking & traveling together (Amazon jungle, Machu Picchu, biking the world's most dangerous road, the world's largest salt flats,relaxing at Lake Titicaca, etc.) It'll be nice to have those 2 to talk to about those moments I shared with them.  

So I'm on my own again...As I jumped on the bus from Cusco to the coast of Peru (Huachachina), going my separate way, I was left with a very strange feeling. For the past month and a half I had another half to help with the plan making, the shared experiences, and the company. I know I'll get used to traveling alone again, but for now it is just a bit... strange. I'm on my own for the next 2-3 months. No one knowing my exact location. I'm left to make all the decisions on my own, and control my own journey & destinations.

Anyways, after a long, cold 19 hour bus ride I arrived at Huachachina, a tranquilo little oasis town surrounded by massive sand dunes. This is a popular area along the "gringo trail" because of the sandboarding. I went out with a tour for about 2 hours. I thought as a snowboarder, the sandboarding would come easy. I was wrong.. it is just so different. Most of the group gave up on the sandboarding and we just went down on our stomachs. It was a fun, yet scary, kind of experience.

(stolen from google images) - an aerial view of Huachachina

the cars we drove up in

the first hill we went down... the "bunny slope"

ISLAS BALLESTAS

Another tourist trap around this area are the "Peruvian Gallapogos" or the "poor man's Gallapogo Islands." Either way, it was still worth the 50 soles (apx 18 US dollars to see these islands, and the beautiful animals that live there.  After a 30 minute boat ride we arrived to these beautiful rock formations crowded with sea life (pelicans, sea lions, starfish, penguins, and over 15,000 birds (not exaggerating)).
a group of Pelicans



sea lions!  look at the one on the right, that looks like it hurts.

the masses of birds that were coming from as far as the eye can see
(of course I got pooped on... it was inevitable)


No comments:

Post a Comment