Saturday, December 3, 2011

Dinero, dinero, dinero. Rapido, rapido rapido!

If you are planning on visiting me, please do not read on.

So after 16 months into my service, I had my first encounter with the gang here (outside of a seeing a shot gang member on the road). Last weekend a group of volunteers here left from San Salvador to head to Carnaval (a huge party here every year that brings a ton of different music groups and people, as well as the gangs.). We were on a bus heading here, when the bus driver decided to pull over and pick up 2 guys with bandanas around their neck. These guys came on with guns and knives. (Mind you: I did not want to see what was going on, nor did I want them to know I was a gringa, So I turned to look out the window so I didn't have to look at them with a hand to my face, and stuck my hand out with money to give them. ) My friends later told me exactly what happened. It was relatively quick and painless. The whole thing took about 5 minutes, even though it felt like a half an hour.

So I started the world map project in the school with a group of kids. As much as I'm alittle nervous they might mess it up, I think it's better to do it as a group. The kids will always remember what countries they painted, and it gives them something fun to do. The map is near the entrance to the school and will be 5x10 feet. I'll be sure to send some pictures. We are using the grid method, where every block is something different. We just finished drawing it, in which I'm quite impressed and we hope to get started on the painting within the next few days. Next week I'm doing a week long computer class for the 9th graders who are going on to High School. The rest of the school is on vacation until the end of January. Busy busy busy. I'm excited to have Greta, my sister-in-law come in a few weeks. It will be a much deserved vacation to Antigua, Guatemala. Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment