Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Yemi is at her new site!

Who would have thought moving 20 minutes down the road would bring so many differences? I moved to my new site over a week ago. Last Saturday I met with my counterpart in San Salvador. It was a weird feeling traveling back from San Salvador to San Vicente (where I spent my training) knowing that all of my other friends are traveling to all sides of the country, hours and hours away (some even taking a few days to do the trip) It was more strange taking the same pick up truck as I would with my training group. A strange feeling being on it without them, but with a stranger. An even stranger feeling when I didn’t get off in Apastepeque, but venturing on for another 30 minutes to my new home.

I have been in this country for over 2 months and have not seen a more incredible sight then I have seen from the top of Calderitas. (the views of the volcano, the views of the many communities below, the fields, the animals, the palm trees, the lakes, etc.) gorgeous. I’m excited to call this new, unknown place, my home. I was anxiously greeted by my four sisters (Allison- 2, Maria Fernanda-5, Darlin-11, and Karen,13) who grabbed my bags without hesitation and led me to my new house. I instantly fell in love with them and I think the feelings are mutually. I live with them, and their parents (Arnulfo-35, and Rubia-30) It’s been about 2 weeks now, and they are still fascinated by literally every move I make. From the moment I open my eyes at 530 AM every morning, to the moment I fall asleep, they are curious about all my behaviors and items (What is this Jamie, What are you doing now? lets play cards, etc.) Literally no ALONE time… I have never been so excited to come to the training center here, just to know I would be alone! They are such a loving and caring family, and I know I am very lucky to be in their house. However, alone time is important to every human spirit. The next day we took an hour long hike to a lake. I thought we were going to go fishing, but when we left the house without any poles, bait, etc. I felt failure yet again from my lack of understanding Spanish. Well, duh, silly me, I’m in El Salvador! Who needs poles when you have sticks. Who needs bait, when you have hands to dig through mud with to find earthworms. Between my dad and my one sister, they caught about 10 fish, and me – nada! Agh I have so much to learn. I must have fallen about 8 times throughout the hike – When did I become so clumsy? We left with all the fish swimming in a plastic bottle (thinking to myself, we are probably going to eat them later) – Nope they put them in the pilla water!! Duh, silly me, once again.

Not knowing the language has made me the most “go with the flow” kind of person. Expect the unexpected. Embrace each moment. Enjoy the ride. Even if the trip takes you to someone’s house where the next thing you know you are sitting in a circle with a candle lit in the middle, praying, singing, on your knees, arms outstretched praying to God. If that isn’t awkward then I’m not sure what is. “Just go with it, Jamie” I keep telling myself. These people just love you for being there and for trying. I was glad though when Rubia told me I didn’t have to do that if I felt uncomfortable. Glad she sensed my emotions. Developing confianza, is what it’s all about for me right now. I’m not religious, but as far as everyone in my community is concerned, yes I am catholic.

Some differences between my new site and Apastepeque:
- people eat with their hands
- noone says bye when they leave
- my family showers in the open
- people are more friendly (especially the ladies – I love seeing their face light up when they see me) people always have time to sit and talk to you – even if they don’t actually have time and they can barely understand you
- everyone just throws everything on the ground – they literally mop every 10 minutes.
- latrines! (with the curtain serving no purpose) not to mention, I have yet to see anyone use it. They usually just squat along the side of the house. I’m not even sure I’ve ever seen them use toilet paper.

Some lessons I learned this week:
- You have to learn to laugh at yourself
- Tomorrow is a new day
- It isn't until you have little resources, until you can really discover how big your imagination really is
- Living like this, you find the simplest things to be utterly exciting (like climbing a tree, walking through a cornfield, or watching a TV with color that you can actually see some picture and not all lines)
- If you can’t beat them join them (I say this in regards to my sisters) From day one, they have been so fascinated by all of my things. For awhile I was getting annoyed that they just wouldn’t leave my things alone. Until it hit me. I’m selfish. These kids don’t have “stuff”. So when someone has things, they are going to want to try them. So I became okay with letting them borrow my phone so they can play games on it, it usually keeps them busy for hours. Or by giving them my markers and paper, they can usually sit and draw for hours. (its always pictures they make for me anyways) Or just by allowing them to look at my pictures all the time. They just can’t get enough of the pictures of the dogs from home (my parents dog, my brothers dog, my neighbors dog) – Probably because they actually look like normal dogs. Or all of my clothing and sunglasses, they usually enjoy a good game of lets dress like Jamie. It's funny though, ever since I have become okay with giving them my things to play with, I feel less annoyed. It makes them happy. That makes me happy. It really is the least I could do for them, since they all love to take care of me. I think they all love having the role of big sister to me.

How I know I live with such a great family:
-The dad pulls out a huge white board from God knows where (in this small house) and begins teaching me Spanish
- They are constantly listening to some of the best music from the 80s. (Aha – take on me, Toto- Africa)
- Their random/goofy acts. For example, the other day they bring 2 street dogs home from the nearest pueblo. As if they don’t have enough animals. Owell, I’m not complaining. Another animal to eat my food.
- I have a bigger room in the house, then the one other room all 6 of them sleep in. I feel alittle weird about this, though.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading about your life in El Salvador. It brings tears to my eyes to hear how these ppl live. You are doing an amazing job with them. I'm sure they will never forget you. As you will never forget them or this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie
    Thanks for posting new thoughts and pictures. We enjoyed reading your blog.
    Love and peace,
    April, Bob, and Max

    ReplyDelete